Just thinking: What must it be like to be in a band like Yo La Tengo -- a band that never got big and that the mainstream would still view as an "up and coming" or even unsuccessful band -- and know that your "legacy" or what you'll be remembered for is basically already built? Like, you're headlining the Pitchfork Music Festival, but you'd be in only medium-sized or smaller print on (say) the Bonnaroo poster -- under Beastie Boys, way under Metallica -- you're not a household name, you're not famous . Knowing that, but also knowing that you have fans that love you, and that there are many people who have your albums -- these little albums that you've made over time, every one on a budget -- as their favorite albums? You've created these things, these texts, your classics, and there you are.
What does that feel like? Seems like it would be similar to being in a big local band. To a subset of people you are an obvious, known name, but a vast majority of people have no clue about you. You could have changed (could have moved to a bigger city or worked harder vs. could have appealed more consciously to a mainstream audience, sold out, signed to a major, whatever), but you chose not to because it's either enough for you or the alternative is undesirable. It's like being a local band, local to the world.
Monday, April 13, 2009
We're An ____________ Band
Logged by
ROXYMUZAK
at
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
i honestly think it would be preferable to the more troublesome levels of "fame" - i doubt Ira, Georgia and James are particularly wealthy from YLT, but they still make their living doing what they love to do, and can count on a good crowd wherever they go.
That's part of what I'm saying, Nick. Yo La Tengo's level of fame is clearly something that they've chosen, and that they are comfortable with. I'm mostly curious about how they consider their legacy -- if they will have one; what it will be. I'm not sure how fame affects that.
Nice post! Enjoyed reading this. Keep it up!
They fill stadiums in Argentina!
Nah, not really.
I think of Yo La Tengo as "huge" - maybe it's because so many of my friends worship them.
Considering one's legacy seems like a sign of giving up. I'd like to think that the best artists just plow ahead. I don't know much about Yo La Tengo the people, but the fact they've survived this long plus the nature of their music leads me to believe they're fairly well-adjusted about what they do.
That said, they're of course cognizant of their discography. They have to consider their "legacy" every time they take a request or construct a set list.
They're really bitchy about requests, too!
PS, I was at the show being advertised in the picture, where YLT and Versus played MOOSE'S FRICKIN' MUSIC HALL
I was at this show.
<3
Post a Comment